July 24, 2018
John Alexander Jamieson was born in Quebec in August 1835 and was an expert millwright there until he came to St. Ignace in 1892. After purchasing the Mackinaw Lumber Company, he operated it on the old mill slip under the name J.A. Jamieson Lumber Company for many years. He also had holdings and a lumbering operation on the Pine River. He served on the board of Public Works, the School board and was a city councilman. He advocated for updating State St. and personally supervised the first work on its improvement. He was largely instrumental in securing adoption of a county road system.
He passed on in the family residence on prospect St. on July 4, 1915 at 79 years of age and was buried at Lakeside Cemetery.
This entry was posted in History. Bookmark the permalink.
← History Tidbits- Father Marquette Statue