May 24, 2018
This description of St. Helena Island appeared in October 28, 1887 issue of the St. Ignace News:
“The island of approximately 250 acres is covered with forest, predominately evergreens, except for 50-60 acres of cleared, cultivated acres. The soil is a coarse gravely loam, meaning that wagon roads and footpaths never turn to mudholes.
The government lighthouse is at the southeast corner of the island. Along the east shore are: Newton’s dock, warehouses, several homes, barns and a school house. This island is nearly 1 1/2 miles in length and a carriage way runs along the east and northeast shore. The distance across the water is two miles to Blanchard’s. This island is eight miles from St. Ignace.”
This entry was posted in History. Bookmark the permalink.